Friday, October 25, 2013

Book review: "Werewolf of Fever Swamp"

I read "Werewolf of Fever Swamp" to my 6-year-old son and we both enjoyed it. The fact that he sat through the whole thing shows that he was pretty engaged, since he rarely sticks with a book this long.

Though the book is part of the Goosebumps series, my son said it wasn't scary. I thought it was a little scary, but it's really more of a whodunit.

The mystery centers on who, or what, is the werewolf or is there a werewolf at all? Author R.L. Stine keeps you guessing all the way through. I liked the clever ending, although Stine seemed to rush to a conclusion after the long build-up.

Two small complaints: Stine likes to end each chapter on a cliffhanger, but often they're a false tease the danger he implies isn't there when you turn the page. I got a little tired of that. Also, I wish he wouldn't use the word "shrilly" so much it's hard to say when you're reading aloud! (Go ahead, try it.)

Still, all in all, the story is a good one with a lot of action, characters kids can relate to, and suspense.
 ---

 (Please support this blog by clicking on an ad, or by donating via the Paypal button below.)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment