Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Book review: "The Good, the Bad and the Very Slimy" (Rotten School series)

My 7-year-old son and I like to read "Goosebumps" together but when I found that all the books in that series had been checked out from the library, I picked up "The Good, the Bad and the Very Slimy" since it's also by R.L. Stine.

Conclusion: While this book isn't terrible, "Goosebumps" is better.

The star of the Rotten School series is a snotty, arrogant fourth-grader named Bernie Bridges. I kept waiting for the part where he lets his bluster down and you start to like him, but it never happens.

Other characters are either stupid, manipulative or stuck-up. It's like "Animal House" for the elementary school set. This is definitely not the book to read if you're looking for role models for your kids.

That said, the story does move along at a nice pace and you will get some laughs, as long as you don't take it too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment